Search This Blog

Monday, June 13, 2011

The truth from a nurse

On Sunday evening I spoke to Susan Vickers a nurse on leave from the nursing profession. She told me that it takes three months for a resident/patient to become institutionalized i.e. realize that a residential care facility is the best it is going to get and for them to accept the environment. She also said that only ten percent of a resident's support network continue to visit on a regular basis. She described her work as looking after the abandoned. She concurred with management on my banning as I should have only visited Randy never mind trying to be friendly to others. Now I understand the silence I received from GPC management when I said I would like to adult three or four residents so when I visit Randy I can visit them as well. Susan confirmed that the staff doesn't like visitors but will put up with them as they know that after three months there is a 90% chance of a visitor never to return. And in my case it was exactly three months from the time Randy entered George Pearson Centre until my banning. Susan opined that it was okay that GPC gave me hours to visit Randy at times that were inconvenient to me and also that she didn't see the point that Randy was treated in a discriminatory factor in that Randy was being treated differently from other residents as to visiting hours (10am to 10pm)as was posted. She could see no reason why I should stay longer. (Oh how easy it would be when the assisted suicide legislation becomes law to kill the 90% who have been abandoned.) She also said that volunteers are discouraged in residential care facilities as staff doesn't want them to see what is really going on. Only visitors who have blinders on and only focus totally on their family member are allowed. In Open Ward 2 where Randy is there is only one bully allowed 10 to 10; 7 days a week. This bully sucks up to management and has for eight years. He is the one who makes sure visitors do not return. Even residents from other wards are afraid to visit anyone in Ward 2 when the bully is there. The bully discourages visitors and that leaves one less chore for staff to deflect.

Blog Archive