Search This Blog

Friday, January 12, 2024

Vancouver Coastal Health

I have been thinking about my experience with the health authority when my husband was hospitalized due to his extensive injuries from an accident.

In November I 2010 I was told that I could be banned from seeing my husband, even on his deathbed. No one said I harmed my husband.  I thought the nurse coordinator was crazy and dismissed her threat as nonsense.  However, her threat did come to pass. Not only did Tanu tell me this, but Linda Rose did also.  

Another time was the manager of George Pearson Centre told me that my husband could not change his mind after he talked to me.  Really. There were signs everywhere saying that patients could change their minds anytime.  The health authority from 2010 wanted Randy to agree to a DNR Order.  If Randy had a DNR on him, he would have died in 2010. He died in 2014. But that could have been from a slow code, meaning as he did not have a DNR, they decided not to treat him, which is what they do when they believe that any medical intervention would be a waste of resources.  

Randy was supposed to have died the weekend before, but because I intervened, the woman manager did not know what to do, so she transferred him within one hour (after my lawyer saw Randy) to acute care. It was  Friday, April 4, 2014. But it was too late; the lack of treatment at GPC cemented his death. I was only able to see my husband on his deathbed (he was comatose) after I produced a court order.  Because of the litigation, the ICU lingered his final breath for nine days.  On April 13, 2014, his vent was disconnected, and he slowly died.  It took three hours.  You never forget.  



Blog Archive